Robertson Hospital Register
|Collection homeCompact list of all itemsView all four collection items|
|Creator:||Robertson Hospital (Richmond, Va.)|
|Title:||Robertson Hospital register|
Robertson Hospital was a small, private Civil War hospital financially subsidized by the Confederate government. Located in the house of Judge John Roberts at the northwest corner of 3rd and Main Streets in Richmond, Virginia, the hospital was run by Captain Sally Louisa Tompkins, and was in operation from late July 1861 until June 1865. Tompkins was the only woman to be commissioned by the Confederacy. She was commissioned as Captain on September 9, 1861, in order to keep the hospital open after Surgeon General Samuel P. Moore closed all private hospitals in favor of large military hospitals to be run by commissioned officers. This speaks to the success of the hospital.
|Types:||registers (lists) | Text|
|Subjects:||Robertson Hospital (Richmond, Va.)--Registers | Richmond (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Hospitals | Military hospitals--Virginia--Richmond--History--19th century | United States, Virginia, Henrico County, Richmond, 37.5407, -77.4360|
|Institution:||Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries|
|Contributors:||James Branch Cabell Library. Special Collections and Archives|
Richmond, Va. : VCU Libraries
|Rights and Usage:|
This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.
|Persistent Link to Item:||https://digital.library.vcu.edu/islandora/object/vcu%3Arhr|